Thursday, August 21, 2008

shopping out of town

So I've been spending some time with Z and the other day we stopped in at a girls clothing shop. It kind of reminded me of a younger, trendier, and slightly trashier version of forever 21 or H&M.
I think it was called DOTS or something... ok, upon further inspection it is dots (dots.com)

Anyway, as we walked by I opted that we go inside. She was happy to hear that I was not only up for it, but volunteering for us to go inside. On the surface I may seem like a great boyfriend in that way, but I obviously have a secret agenda.
It's only when I have a girlfriend that I can really go into such stores and scope out recent fashions as well as prices. It also gives me further insight to Z's dressing strategies, likes, and dislikes, which'll hopefully end up making me a better, or at least more believable, cross dresser.

When we went inside I saw a few sales-girls and a couple customers, one was talking to an attendant. Initially it appeared that it was an older woman, but I immediately realized it was a cross dresser or transgender. I suspect that it was a cross dresser though, given the false hair, breasts, voice, and thin hips.
She quickly looked back at us and then moved to the back of the store. I felt bad that it appeared as though she was made uncomfortable, probably by my presence, being a fairly young guy and all.. I would suspect someone who looks like me would probably be the first person to accuse and ridicule a man in womens clothing of being just that, however she would have been wrong. However, I respected that she wanted to remain incognito in the back of the store, so I didn't follow after.

I then looked through the store for cute shirts with Z and started to really zero in on the types of tops that she likes. Fortunately I'm going through a phase where I'm sharing her taste, so it's nice that she picks out things that I would perhaps be interested in wearing (without me asking) and tries them on so her and I both can get a better idea of what they look like.
I've noticed that as of a few years ago from the NYU to FIT areas in Manhattan there's been this retro movement that seems like it's finally making it to the mainstream, which I am pretty happy about since it's latching on to all the cool things about 80's fashion and getting rid of most of the truly tacky parts.
These fashions are highlighted with banded bottom tops, leggings, off the shoulder and wide-neck cuts. Most of these also help to slightly obscure the waist to shoulder ratio, which I could imagine being quite nice for us guys.

Anyway, I'm still yet to tell Z about my masking, however I have no near-future plans of telling her about that part of my life, given that she's still adjusting to latex.

No comments: