Wednesday, December 11, 2019

Psychoeducation and Identification of our Fetish

So I work in the field of psychology and just thought it would be fun talk a little about the intersection of fetish, crossdressing, and psychology. 

I'm trying to think about how a psychologist or psychiatrist would look at someone where masking was discovered. Like... a couple going to marriage counseling for issues and the masker's partner brings up masking as something negative. Or... a family doing family counseling and a child discovered a female mask. Or maybe someone experiencing some mental health issues and in the process of talking to their therapist disclosing about wearing female masks.

I think it would be pretty easy for a clinician to pull at that thread and focus on masking, perhaps out of personal interest (curiosity) or thinking that they're unraveling something very telling about the individual through their masking behaviors.
(so you wear female clothes and women's masks... how was your relationship with your mother?)

Perhaps this masking is some mix of gender dysphoria, transvestism, and fetishism, or at least to the untrained physician could be considered something that falls in the paraphilic behaviors category in the DSM-V (it's worth noting that pedophilia is included in this category).
I think it would be easy for a clinician to identify this behavior and basically turn it into a sickness, since it is so abnormal. (and psychology, if nothing else, is designed to understand what is 'normal' and help people who fall outside of that category get more in line with being 'normal' because normal = 'healthy.') 

Transvestic disorder - (an existing diagnosis) - involving the subject having recurrent thoughts and compulsions to dress as the opposite sex for sexual gratification. This is NOT considered a disorder unless it causes the individual distress and impairment in social, financial or personal functioning.

Fetishistic disorder - (an existing diagnosis) - individual has recurrent, intense sexual arousal from an inanimate object, body-part (not genitalia), role playing, focus on certain physical characteristics, or non-intercourse related acts that causes distress and functional impairment.

So if anyone here encounters the mental health system and this comes up, know that masking is ONLY A PROBLEM IF YOU THINK IT IS A PROBLEM and/or if it has caused some decreased functioning that is worrisome for you. In this day and age of gender neutral bathrooms and equal rights for transgendered people, we should all know that we cannot be discriminated against legally (meaning loss of job, loss of promotion, refused housing, etc.) for our fetish. I mean, we can absolutely be discriminated against socially, but not legally.

On a side note.. I've spent way too much money on gear lately, but that's a whole other story.

But I keep seeing maskers on social media sending out apologies for their lack of content or absences from being visible online. To them I want to say, DON'T APOLOGIZE! You should only be masking if/when you want to. With social media I think that people are getting caught up in the 'likes' culture and wanting to keep producing and producing (I'm certainly in the hamster wheel sometimes), but I think it's also important to stop and take a step back and evaluate why you're masking every time you mask. If you're thinking, I want likes or people are expecting me to or I'm feeling down and this may cheer me up or I don't have anyone in my life and this helps me not feel alone, then I'm telling you, you're doing it wrong. If you're masking for those reasons, I'd strongly encourage you to do something else that's more productive towards your feelings with that time. For example, if you wish you had a wife or girlfriend and your solution is to mask, but after masking that feeling comes back at just the same intensity, then perhaps that time would've been better spent on a dating site (or fetlife), involving yourself in group activities (to meet people and just be socially active), or sprucing yourself up so you can find a mate.

I think that masking is a beautiful and wonderful thing full of excitement, unique sensations and insights, and helps us express a side of ourselves that we don't feel comfortable expressing in our everyday lives. It is a GOOD THING, as long as you treat it like a good thing. So be mindful when you mask and while masking focus on everything that you enjoy about it, because some of us (this was me a few years ago) fall into the bad habit of doing it for lack of other activities, playmates, partners, or due to social (online) pressures to.

I think it's perhaps also useful to understand what type of masker you are, since I've encountered a few budding young maskers who through masking realized that they were actually transgendered and masking was merely a stepping stone to that discovery (which is great!).

So far I've only thought of a few classifications for maskers:
Female masker - fetish type
Female masker - trasnvestic type
Female masker - disguise type
Female masker - mixed type

with modifiers like:
- with preference for latex, satin, lace
- exhibitionist type
- isolating type
- play type

So to classify myself: Female Masker - fetish type - preference for latex, isolating type.

I'd love for people to add to this list I've started. I also want to point out that I'm doing this partially as a fun exercise and partially because I think that we need to start developing language around our fetish. I think language development is important because until there are generally known words to describe us, we are largely unknown and subject to greater criticism, incorrect hypothesis about our intentions in masking, and open to having more stereotypes and negative attributions made about us as individuals, while having language helps establish us as a group. Safety in numbers!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love this write up I'm a fan of your blog... I direct people I encounter online to it for such great content.. I like the idea of disguising myself as a women.. just simply becoming some else that is considered attractive and experiencing the world as that person.. My brain does get "confused" and I do gain arousal from it as well... Posting on you tube has also made it a fun arousing hobby I don't do often enough.. what does this make me??

Anima said...

Let me ask you a few questions before I try to classify:
1) Would you find getting dressed up as an 'attractive' male using a mask to be exciting?
2) Would dressing up like an alien or animal or cartoon character be exciting for you?
3) If you could snap your fingers and suddenly be female, would that be exciting in a similar way ask your mask-outings?
4) Do you find just looking at your clothes/gear to be exciting, or is it only exciting once you look in the mirror?
5) what excites you the most? being out as the other gender, dressing, looking at yourself in the mirror, the process of dressing? Or something else entirely?

Anonymous said...

1) No... I can just be myself

2) No...

3) Hmm... I dont know about that one.. Would I be able to switch back to myself? Would I be able to retain all my faculties as a male in my female form? If so then yes...

4) I think both. I dont see how this is different as a male

5) I think looking at myself in the mirror excites me the most I like looking at my own videos masked so I guess its somewhat the same thing...

Anima said...

Given that you mask, then; female masker - transvestic type, since it's not that you want to be or identify as female, but the idea of being female for a period of time is sexually exciting.
-treatment: dress/make more videos if that's what makes you happy!

I'll send your insurance company the bill 😆😁

Anonymous said...

thank you>> Insurance payment on the way..

Anima said...

Didn't mean for that little joke at the end to be obnoxious, it's just such a big part of healthcare in the US, it was meant to be a jab at the industry. idk if it was taken that way, but I wanted to clarify

But what is your sense of that brief summation of your interest?
It probably sounds flat and obvious to you, but I don't know a whole lot about you and it seems to fit what little has been shared. But to try to show you why I think these classifications could be useful, I think that they could help maskers immediately tell others a little more in-depth how/why they're into masking.
For example, to contrast your interest in masking with mine.

Anonymous: female masker - transvestic type (and I'm sure more classifiers)
Anima: Female Masker - fetish type - preference for latex, isolating type.

I'm more into masking as a means of engaging with objects (masks, suits, etc) and becoming an object (doll). I get a similar enjoyment wearing any sort of mask, so to me masking isn't entirely about being/looking like a woman or even looking like anything (I enjoy the sensation). To me the idea of masking as disguise as a focus, means tricking someone or 'passing' as a natural female to others. My interest when masking specifically is transformation, basically that idea of your brain getting that 'confused' feeling. That is to say that transformation is an activity that only requires one person (while disguise needs an audience or other to validate the 'passing'). I know it sounds like I'm splitting hairs, but I think they're important. Since it sounds like if you were to wear a female mask and get to 'pass' in public as a natural girl, that would be exciting to you. To me doing the same, even if I could 'pass' is still not something that interests me at all.
So maybe that was a little more useful in explaining.

Part of the reason I started thinking about these classifications in the first place was because I found it odd how many requests I had to make 'going outside' videos. It's something I have no interest in doing, but it seemed like there were a group of maskers who were intent on bugging me about it for a while. So it made me start thinking about the different ways people engage with masking.

Anonymous said...

I agree with your summary for the most part... Yes the health care industry in the U.S is very controversial and a subject I would not want to get into. I actually was never into masking but loved the idea of "transforming" as a means of disguise. kind of like mystique from the Xmen franchise.. The sexual arousal I think comes from just being attracted to the female form.. I also happen to see a youtube video years ago and became fascinated by a user now known as Pink Silk when she first wore the grayland masks..

At the time I thought it might be possible to wear something realistic with the greyland ...When I moved away to get my own place I was able to mask freely but it seems the products available were not as good and realistic at the time so I gave up on it and became interested in other hobbies like dating, weightlifting and hiking.. I really enjoyed dating different women but once I got a more serious girlfriend the act of dating and sleeping around needed to stop... I continued to view occasional videos until the creafx company put out there female masks and I was amazed how realistic those masks looked since then, I decided to purchase the Sophia mask which I think looks the most realistic on the market considering the shape of my head and body (Male).. Now it seems the technology and realism has gotten much better with others like Roanyer and dream mask... (Im contemplating getting the Hathaway mask which is designed for a larger male head).... Roanyer has great products too I have the masked gloves.. and wish they made legs that go past the ankles.

Once Got hip pads breast forms and a outfit and saw myself in the mirror My brain too got pleasantly "Confused" I took it as a sign that I would pass as a natural women.... I wanted some means of keeping the moment and wanted to contribute to the growing "masking community" on youtube so made a few videos with my fetish for women in cosplay by making a few videos of myself in cosplay which was very satisfying... afterwards, I wanted to "experience" the world as a women by going outside and being in public..Something about being outside and disguised was very thrilling and exciting as well.. I have only done it once and would like to do it again when I have the time which seems like never...

Anima said...

Thank you for sharing. The part about masks getting better definitely hits home for me. Since I gave up masking for a number of years, then when I saw the creafx masks come out I felt compelled to get back into it.
But please share your experience with the mask you get, since I also have a large head.
I'd love to see your youtube video, however you don't need to share if you don't feel comfortable. It's also good to contribute to the community, but I also know the draw to capture the moment through pictures and videos.

The idea of having silicone feet is pretty interesting, I think the main problem would be that they would quickly get destroyed from walking around. They would need some sort of tread on the bottom to prevent them from ripping apart, but fun idea!

You mentioned having a girlfriend, does she know about your masking? If so, have you integrated it at all to things you do together or is it kept separate?

Anonymous said...

My girlfriend found out about my desire to crossdress however, that quickly got replaced by masking last year. we really don’t talk about it and I prefer it that way. I think it would alienate the relationship I have with my. partner. I find masking more like a hobby or pastime... watching videos or visiting blogs like this curb a lot of my interest in masking anyway however, if I get an opportunity to mask I’ll do it.. I think not doing it often helps keep it fresh and exciting anyway..