Saturday, November 11, 2023

The 'scene'

 Hi everyone, trying to keep up with some updates, even without big news or content to share. 

I've been searching around a little on instagram and facebook recently, which ironically has become centers for maskers (which I think is a good thing). But it feels like masking has branched in a few directions and I've also seen lots of comments about how "filters are ruining masking." 

So I just wanted to see what others take is on if and how the masking 'scene' has changed? 

What are your thoughts about "filters" and if they're making a big impact on masking? 

I personally don't have really strong feelings about any of it, since I've been out of the 'scene' for a while and when I was in it, my main motivation was to have female masking representation out on the internet. With the hope of drafting some new interest in masking for the next generation to take on and push into the future. Which in hindsight was sort of a grandiose and unnecessary mission, since I think it would have been fine with or without me.

---------------------------------------------------

Célia GERACI
Personally, I find that filters are a cancer for the masking community. I estimate that 95% of maskers use them, especially newcomers. Thanks to the filter, there is no need for makeup and some use the filters without even bothering to adjust the mask. Some even use the filter to thin their own bodies and make themselves more feminine. They tend to hide their obesity through filters. However, when they do live, without filters, the result is particularly horrible.


In my opinion, I NEVER use filters and I NEVER will. My work is 100% natural and without filter, to the point that I plan to post with the hastag #nofilter or #photoshop.

It’s only my opinion, of course, but for me, a masker who uses a filter, I find that his work no longer has any interest.

--------------------------------------------------------------
Anima -
I can see the frustration with filters more easily now. Maybe I've seen a number of them without even realizing it. I do remember when the "smile" filter came out and suddenly many maskers had smiles on their pictures, which was momentarily interesting, then when I realized what was going on, I found them less interesting. So I suppose I share your viewpoint miss Geraci. I'm personally a big fan of practical effects in movies, so I'd say that this is probably the closest analogy I can use to express a similar sentiment.

However to play devils' advocate; 
I'd say that many maskers, myself included, are ones that mask in isolation, where the joy of masking is split into two categories: the experience of being masked and viewing the content one takes (images and videos). Whether using filters or not, the experience of masking should be fairly similar, if not the same if primarily using a mirror. Although, with filters, it makes the content potentially much more enjoyable or more desirable. 

Masking (for me at least) is an odd thing, where sometimes the experience of masking itself is not particularly exciting/enticing, so my enjoyment of a number of masking sessions has been entirely when going through the images and videos. So for those in this category, at least people using filters can enjoy the content portion of their masking session more. However, I'd say that for others viewing these images/videos, the content is essentially tainted.. but if the person taking the images/videos doesn't mind it, then I don't think it's necessarily a horrible thing (if it's enhancing their personal experience). 

There have always been maskers out there who have been so elated and excited by the masking process, where their joy is real, but their presentation is.. lacking in ways. However, I don't mean to sound critical, I think it's lovely when these maskers share themselves online and at times I've been this masker, so again, no criticism. If you're feeling pretty and having a great masking session and want to snap shots off even when everything isn't perfect, go ahead, we all want to see it! But I would agree, to others when using filters it is a little bit misleading feeling. I also think with all the resources being dumped into AI, this is likely something that's here to stay. 

-------------------------------------------------------

Jess

I've gotta agree with the sentiment of filters and photoshop being a bad thing for masking. Both due to the resasons already mentioned, but also, if you're just gonna manipulate the pixels to look how you want then what was the point of using a mask in the first place? Doesn't it kind of defeat the purpose entirely? Why not just just edit the hell out of an unmasked photo, or just use AI to generate what you want?

And don't get me started on the "Chinese beauty filter" that's present on a huge number of videos from China (must be built into a popular app or platform or something), that in my opinion makes most people look worse (huge eyes and a super narrow chin just don't look good to me, I guess) as well as being rather distracting as it occasionally loses face tracking and flickers on and off.

I also refuse to use any filters or do any manipulation (other than basic brightness/contrast and background removal), and all of my photos are exactly what I see in the mirror.

I've also got to admit to being a bit crotchety and old-fashioned about how platforms like FB/IG/whatever-the-kids-use-nowadays treat their users and refuse to ever use them so I have much less exposure to this kind of stuff than most.

I guess if anybody's interested in an anonymous imageboard (4chan-like) site for masking-related stuff, feel free to check out/post on my site.

------------------------------------------------------------

Anima

Thank you for the comment Jess. The more I'm hearing from you all, the more sold I am getting on the photo-manipulation being a bad thing or perhaps a different thing altogether. 
To the end of your imageboard site for masking-related stuff, yes I'd love to check your site out. Can you drop a link in the comments for us? (EDIT) 
So if you're interested in checking out the site Jess is referencing above, please click the "comments" button below this post and click "Jess" written in blue and you'll be taken to the page. 

--------------------------------------------------------------
Jess

>Can you drop a link in the comments for us?

Sure. I put it in the URL field for the 'Name/URL' identity option, which should make my name clickable. If that doesn't show up for whatever reason, here's a direct link:
https://qchan.dyndns.org/bs/

Also, I really need to come up with a better domain name... if anybody's got suggestions for a new name, I'd love to hear it.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Anonymous asked - On a separate subject, where is a good place to connect and meet with other Maskers?

Anima - I'm honestly not really sure. My best guess would be on facebook, instagram, tiktok or reddit. However, I generally don't seek connection with other maskers, or at least I have not for  years. So hopefully some people can chime in here with some better and more specific suggestions.  

3 comments:

Jess said...

I've gotta agree with the sentiment of filters and photoshop being a bad thing for masking. Both due to the resasons already mentioned, but also, if you're just gonna manipulate the pixels to look how you want then what was the point of using a mask in the first place? Doesn't it kind of defeat the purpose entirely? Why not just just edit the hell out of an unmasked photo, or just use AI to generate what you want?

And don't get me started on the "Chinese beauty filter" that's present on a huge number of videos from China (must be built into a popular app or platform or something), that in my opinion makes most people look worse (huge eyes and a super narrow chin just don't look good to me, I guess) as well as being rather distracting as it occasionally loses face tracking and flickers on and off.

I also refuse to use any filters or do any manipulation (other than basic brightness/contrast and background removal), and all of my photos are exactly what I see in the mirror.

I've also got to admit to being a bit crotchety and old-fashioned about how platforms like FB/IG/whatever-the-kids-use-nowadays treat their users and refuse to ever use them so I have much less exposure to this kind of stuff than most.

I guess if anybody's interested in an anonymous imageboard (4chan-like) site for masking-related stuff, feel free to check out/post on my site.

Jess said...

>Can you drop a link in the comments for us?

Sure. I put it in the URL field for the 'Name/URL' identity option, which should make my name clickable. If that doesn't show up for whatever reason, here's a direct link:
https://qchan.dyndns.org/bs/

Also, I really need to come up with a better domain name... if anybody's got suggestions for a new name, I'd love to hear it.

Anonymous said...

On a separate subject, where is a good place to connect and meet with other Maskers?